Thursday, July 29, 2010

How do I help my cousin?

My cousin's 17, and she's been dating this guy since 15. But then, they moved. They tried a long-distance relationship, but we all know what kind of bull that is! I mean, it doesn't work! It went well at first, but then, my cousin found someone new. Then, she hears that her ex just died! And the family won't even let her attend the funeral! Not even a few paces from the chapel door! I mean, the guy has come to terms with it, and they both agreed to be friends--although there still is hurt. But come on! To forbid from attending the funeral!? How do I comfort my cousin? She feels as if it was her fault!


She won't even talk--she's so depressed!


I used to exchange sarcastic words with her, exchanging puns, but now, she just sits there and sighs! My twin sister has tried cheering her up, but nothing helps! She usually runs to us when she has problems, but now, it's like she's withdrawing! She won't talk, she won't even eat!How do I help my cousin?
I am sorry to hear about your cousins dilemma





The best thing you can all do is be there for her and continue cheering her up, I highly doubt that her depression is only not being able to attend the funeral it might also have to do with her losing someone that was special to her at one point and time





She can always visit the grave site later (his parents can't stop her from doing that).





Until then pray for her, talk to her, be a good shoulder to cry on or a good listener.





I found many links that may help you understand depression and what you can do to help her while she is depressed, it also tells you what to do if her depression continues for more then a few weeks.





http://www.depression.com/help_someone_y鈥?/a>





http://www.wikihow.com/Help-Someone-With鈥?/a>





http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fact鈥?/a>





http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depress鈥?/a>





http://www.familyaware.org/resources/opt鈥?/a>





please email me if there is anything I can help with.How do I help my cousin?
oh no, poor her, she is really facing the big challenge. and i'm sorry about her. just try comforting her asmuch as possible. she'll need it
How tragic that someone so young would have to face the death of someone so close to them. Perhaps it was not unfair of his family at all to not let her attend the funeral because they knew how close she was to him and didn't want the trauma of seeing his lifeless body depress her even further. It may do her good to tell her this and do all you can to cheer her up because it was not her fault.
Oh, wow. I'm sorry about this. That's ridiculous that they didn't let her attend the funeral. It's not her fault. Jeez! Just, comfort her as much as possible, and try to make her happy and take her out sometimes.
The wounds will heal. Give her time. You know women. Allow her some grieving room. Let her know you are there and that you care.
Heck, I dunno, man! That hurts like hell! To AJ R, sure, time heals, but what about the scars? You can't undo the damage to that once it's already been done! Hell, that is unfair! Why wouldn't they allow her to attend the funeral!? Man, that is so petty! Tell Rachel it's not her fault, so strop crying! I mean the guy came to terms with the break-up, right! Jeez!
Well being that depressed isn't heathy at all. It was wrong not to let her attend the funeral, but what could you do. What's done is done. What you need to do is not bring up the situation to her. Take her out without making any remarks on what had just happened. Bring her pizza and have a mini party within yourselfs watching your favorite comedy movies. But remember, through pain comes healing. (What doesn't break you makes you stronger). Just pray for her. God never abandons. Let your cousin know that you're there for her whenever she needs you. Don't force her to talk to you, just be with her. If she wants to cry on your shoulder let her cry. The best thing is that she knows your there.

No comments:

Post a Comment